The Elektor Forum will close. See also this link. From Friday March 15st it is no longer possible to log in to the forum. However, the content of the forum will remain visible until the end of March. As of April 1st the forum will definitely go off the air.

Problem with Platino SMD Solder Station

Equipment, circuits, projects, procedures

Problem with Platino SMD Solder Station

Postby KenArton » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:38 pm

I have recently completed the Platino SMD Solder Station project, as described in July/Aug 2015 issue.
It works very well apart from one thing.
To quote from the article (page 101):
"To save energy and prolong the solder bit lifetime the software automatically switches the iron to lower temperature operation after approx. 15 minutes use."

Well, I have to say it does not -- it just stays on indefinately .
Looking at the source code in the downloaded firmware, there is clearly no piece of code for that action.

The purchased the Atmega328p ready-coded from Elektor.

Has anyone else built this project and found the same problem?

I think that the switch-off function is important for extending bit life, and would really like to have it.

I have thought about editing the code myself and re-programming the chip. However, I am stuck on this, as I cannot
even get the original code to compile using Arduino IDE. I have followed all instructions in
the "Platino in Arduino Land" article from 02-2012 issue, and after some hacking of the source code
it does compile, but when I then dump a .hex file it is only about half the size of the downloaded hex file.
I am very reluctant to risk re-programming at this point in case I cannot recover to the original state.

If anyone out there can offer any advice I will be very grateful.
KenArton

Re: Problem with Platino SMD Solder Station

Postby Elektor Editor » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:28 am

Ken,

the creators of the project software advise that:
"the power save option is in version 1.4 which is final. Other versions (1.0 and 1.1) do not have this function as it was added at a later stage."

Please contact Customer Services for a replacement of your programmed controller.

Jan
Elektor Editor

Postby KenArton » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:50 pm

Hi Jan,

Thanks for reply.
I have sent an email to Customer Services requesting replacement chip.
I would like to download the version 1.4 firmware -- do you know where I can find a link to this?

Ken.
KenArton

Postby Elektor Editor » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:40 am

Further advice has arrived from our lab:

"If your Platino solder station does not go into power save mode after approximately 15 minutes, please ensure JP6 is connected to PC2".

I hope this helps everyone following this topic.

Jan
Elektor Editor

Postby KenArton » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:05 pm

Hi All,

I have just implemented the change advised -- connected jumper JP6 to PC2.
Power saving mode now works as it should.
So, problem solved!

I would still like to see the source code for latest version of the firmware (v1.5 I believe).
If anyone comes across a link to this perhaps they can let me know.

Ken.
KenArton

Return to Test & Measurement