The Elektor Forum will close. See also this link. From Friday March 1st it is no longer possible to log in to the forum. However, the content of the forum will remain visible until the end of March. As of April 1st the forum will definitely go off the air.

turntable speed controller

HiFi, LoFi, Tubes, Transistors, ICs, Commercial, DIY

turntable speed controller

Postby huddslad » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:34 am

Hi I have a AR legend turntable that has manual speed control. This involves taking the platter of and manual putting the belt onto the appropriate pulley which is a pain the neck.
The motor runs on standard 240V ac mains. I have been looking for a speed controller that I can use to change the speed electronically but cant find one. Does anyone know of one, or has built one. I could change the motor to a 24V AC version. Has elektor published one.

Can Anyone help.

Thanks
huddslad

Re: turntable speed controller

Postby justin thyme » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:41 pm

I would have thought that the speed of the AC motor is dictated by the mains frequency, not the voltage. If so, then you'd need a circuit that can change the frequency!
justin thyme

Postby ahmedzg » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:23 pm

It's very complicated to control AC motor by electronics , it made of mechanical parts usually
So I think you have to use a Dc motor 12 or 24 volt with internal or external dc regulator
By altering the motor shaft pulley' diameter for the whole range and the regulator control as a fine coarse adjustment , You'll get good result
ahmedzg

Simple turntable speed controller

Postby electrosmoke » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:52 am

It is not so difficult to control the speed of a synchronous turntable motor - all you need is a stable sinewave oscillator hooked to a power amp feeding the secondary winding of a small mains transformer - which should provide the "artificial" mains voltage of 230 V (or whatever) at about 4...5 W feeding the truntable motor with a constant voltage at variable frequency, thus controlling the speed.

I remember an article in Wireless World ages ago on a speed controller for a dancing studio turntable based on this idea - it used a PLL-IC (NE567?) as a generator.
electrosmoke

Postby officina tron-audio » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:26 pm

oups sorry
officina tron-audio

Re: Simple turntable speed controller

Postby gerardoS » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:31 am

electrosmoke wrote:It is not so difficult to control the speed of a synchronous turntable motor - all you need is a stable sinewave oscillator hooked to a power amp feeding the secondary winding of a small mains transformer - which should provide the "artificial" mains voltage of 230 V (or whatever) at about 4...5 W feeding the truntable motor with a constant voltage at variable frequency, thus controlling the speed.

I remember an article in Wireless World ages ago on a speed controller for a dancing studio turntable based on this idea - it used a PLL-IC (NE567?) as a generator.

Thank you for the information, you've been very helpful. Remember the Wireless World article? I'd like to read it.
Greetings.
gerardoS

Return to Audio & Video