Elektor magazine Download [resolved, closed]

Miscellaneous subjects not necessarily technical

Elektor magazine Download [resolved, closed]

Postby georgeh » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:20 am

Hi,
With the demise of the printed version of Elector, I joined Elektor as a Green member and downloaded my first issue , the November issue, plus my free SDR E book and saved both for future reference and at that point very happy with the result.

However after that initial success things have gone downhill! On attempting download of any of the following month's issues I find I can no longer save them or save any other content e.g special content I view on the Elektor magazine website.

I have no problems downloading PDF content from other websites so this suggests my permissions to download\save content at the Elektor site have changed since the November issue.

I've followed the Elektor procedure to resolve this problem and despite the able assistance of customer service, the web provider is unable to resolve the issues.
The only suggestion provided being use " ctrl S ", suggests to me a lack of interest or understanding of the real issue.

I don't see any other posts re this problem, am I missing something??

Regards georgeh.
georgeh

Re: Elektor magazine Download

Postby ag » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi georgeh,

As a Green subscriber, you should be able to download the Elektor content after successfully logging into elektor-magazine.com, so if you cannot, then only Elektor can help you. Be persistent in explaining the problem to Elektor's customer service and I am sure they will be able to help you.

Regars,
Ag
ag

Postby georgeh » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:31 am

Thanks AG,
I have persisted, correspondence so far, latest to oldest follows:

GeorgeH | Jan 6, 2015 to elector support

Hi Support,
The download issue still persists and I still can't download
and save the magazine or any site content! Have checked on the
Elektor forum and other members haven't reported similar
difficulties so I posted a query.

Only one response but a large number of views.

Don’t know quite what to make of that,

I.e. lots of interest in an issue that no one else is
experiencing??
Or,

Lots of other users experiencing a similar
issue but for some reason not willing\able to do anything about the
situation??

I can't believe I'm the only user with this problem!

One last thought before I give up all together and ask for my
subscription back, could this be a membership status issue, I.e.
the magazine website not being advised by the Elektor main site that I
have a member ship that allows download of the magazine??

This situation has been going on for far too long, almost two months
now and it reflects very poorly on the technical abilities of the
distribution system to provide content to subscribers.

If you can't help then do let me know and I'll take a different approach.

Regards GeorgeH,

16/12/2014 9:15 PM, Elektor | Customer Services wrote:

Dear George,

Thank you for your reply.
I will ask her to look into this again.
I will keep you informed.

GeorgeH | Dec 16, 2014

Hi Support,

Thanks for persevering with this, but the
web master is missing the point!

Of course she can download and save a copy of the magazine, she owns
the " naw_securedl" PDF document and has given herself the
permissions\rights to access it and do whatever she pleases to the
document.

The point she doesn't seem to appreciate is that someone has changed
my "Rights" to save the magazine since I downloaded the November issue
and the only rights I'm left with are to be able View the document.

Save PDF, file save and Control shift S don't\won't work because
someone has removed my access rights for those functions.

Regards GeorgeH.

| Dec 15, 2014 , Elektor | Customer Services wrote:
Dear George,

Thank you for your e-mail.
I received a reply from our webmaster.

She was able to save the download without any problems.

There is another way to go about this.
You can type: CTRL Shift and S and now you should get a screen in which you will get the option to save the download.

George Harris | Dec 10, 2014
Please advise why you cannot fulfill your contractual obligations to me as a member regarding download of the December magazine, I had no issue downloading the November issue. What has changed since then?

Dec 3, 2014 , Elektor | Customer Services wrote:
Dear George,

I have forwarded your e-mail to our webmaster.
I will get back to you as soon as I have received an answer.

GeorgeH | Nov 28, 2014
Hi Support,
I haven't had any further
advice response from support to my query regarding not being able to
download the Elektor magazine.

Have tried several times just in case the issue had been corrected
and I also tried paying for a single issue and downloading via
the Elektor shop but with the same result.

The issue is, that I can view it "On Line" using IE but I can’t
download it and save it for further reference as I did on the previous
occasion.

Have also attempted a download using the open source Browser Aurora
instead of IE, but that doesn't even let me view the paid for
version on line.

Would you update\advise me on progress with this issue.

Thanks & Regards GeorgeH.

George Harris | Nov 20, 2014

Hi support,
I have green membership and attempted to download the Dec issue
of the Elektor magazine, although I can view the whole magazine on line
as a pdf, the Internet explorer “save file" and Adobe pdf "save file"
options don’t allow me to save it to view again at a later date.

When clicked neither option results in a save file dialogue because the
file wasn't downloaded to my download folder, it just opened on line in
Internet Explorer.

Last month’s magazine download went ok, which suggest something has something changed since then.

Thanks & regards GeorgeH.
« Back to My Tickets

Regards georgeH.
georgeh

Postby ag » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:41 pm

Hi Geroge,

Just curious: if you display the content and right click on a page, select "Document Properties", what do you see in tab "Security"? I see "no security" by security system, can be opened by all Acrobat versions, and all actions allowed except removing pages and document composition (my translations from german - you might see different wording).

Do you see different values?

Regards,
Ag
ag

Postby georgeh » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:39 am

HI Ag,
I see " no security" set and 4 document restrictions. Not allowed are " assembly, commenting, signing and creation of templates'.

My reader version is Acrobat reader 9.

During download there is no indication it is downloading to my download folder.

Control shift S does trigger a dialog box but only to comment any changes won't be saved and I can download and save other PDF docs from other sites.

Regards georgh
georgeh

Postby ag » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:27 am

Hi George,

Let's see if we can narrow this down further.

I see " no security" set and 4 document restrictions. Not allowed are " assembly, commenting, signing and creation of templates'.

For me, commenting, signing and creation of templates is allowed. But I am not yet convinced that this is controlled by Elektor. I will get back to this later.

During download there is no indication it is downloading to my download folder.

The same is true for me, so I do not see this as a problem. If you can view all pages, then IE has already cached the content (download to IE temporary files folder).

Control shift S does trigger a dialog box but only to comment any changes won't be saved

This confuses me. I read that to mean, you can indeed save the original without changes, which is what you want. A comment saying changes won't be saved, where saving is not allowed does not make sense to me. Please confirm that you have ignored that comment and continued with the saving dialog, i.e. what you did from there and what the reaction from the dialog is.

I have done the following, and request that you try doing the same, just to verify the security settings issue and the "no downloading" issue:

1) Perform a Google search for ADE7756. In the search result, select the entry "[PDF]ADE7756 - Analog Devices" (http://www.analog.com/static/imported-f ... DE7756.pdf) - after a short pause and display of the first page, a popup appears showing progress of download of 32 pages.

2) Once the download has completed, do a right-click on the page, select "Document properties" and verify the security settings. For me, they are exactly the same as by the Elektor content. If for you they are also the same (assembly, commenting, signing and creation of templates all not allowed as by Elektor content) then that would confirm that those settings are being controlled by your local system, and not by Elektor. If not, then it would seem to confirm that it is an issue with Elektor user settings regarding security.

I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader version 11 under Windows 7. Can you consider updating your Acrobat, just to rule that out?

Let me know your results.

Regarding one of your earlier posts:

Only one response but a large number of views.

Don’t know quite what to make of that,

I.e. lots of interest in an issue that no one else is
experiencing??
Or,

Lots of other users experiencing a similar
issue but for some reason not willing\able to do anything about the
situation??

I suggest not reading too much into the apparent interest. These posts are generally visible to everyone in internet. Most of the registered view clicks are probably from non-subscribers who are searching for ways to download Elektor magazine content for free.

Regards,
Ag
ag

Postby georgeh » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:38 am

Hi Ag,
The Analog Devices data sheet downloads and saves ok. In that case both the Explorer "file save" and "Cntrl shift S" both trigger a "Common dialog save file " event and the file can be saved and named successfully.

Also bear in mind that this issue is also affecting any other download attempts that I mak,e such as free content or paid for content, not just magazine content from the elector site .

An issue that up to now......................., hasn't occurred at any other site.I

The security properties of the two files are the same, the only minor difference being that that the Analog devices document was created with Adobe 7 version 1.6 and the Elector document as Adobe 8 version 1.7.............. Significant ??

If I follow your reasoning correctly,

This suggests that my browser can detect a "hidden" difference between the security settings of the Elektor site any any other site, a property that is not visible in the public properties of the downloaded file ??

Have checked my Adobe version update status and it is current, I can remove the application altogether and reinstall it if you think that is necessary..

Thinking back over the issue don't forget that my first two attempts at download in mid \late October, the download of the November issue and a free E book was successful, so that whatever caused the issue is more likely to be at the Elector site and it occurred somewhere between then and my next attempt at download of the December issue in November.

On the other hand why does the issue only effect me if the problem is at the Elector site.

I really appreciate your help with this!

Thanks & regards georgeh
georgeh

Postby ag » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi George,
I sent you a private message with a recommendation on how to possibly continue trying to trace down this problem.

Regards,
Ag
ag

Postby georgeh » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:56 am

Hi Ag,
No my system is windows 7................, which you infer ..........................is . not appropriate for Adobe 9??

So have gone a couple of steps further re updating Adobe, even though the adobe site reports my adobe 9 is fully updated.

First I tried downloading on my daughter's windows 7 computer, she is running Adobe 10 and had complete success in saving the download.

I then updated my version of Adobe 9, fingers crossed, to the latest version Adobe version X1 and have also succeeded!

So a question, was Adobe 9 ever appropriate for windows 7?

if not, then I have no explanation of how it got there, however if it was initially valid

then could a "system restore", at around the same time as the save download issue appearing, have reloaded the old, now out dated version 9 of adobe instead of
reloading version 10, which past history suggests was in place October, as I could download and save the magazine at that time?

if so, then there is some subtle and very selective difference Adobe 9 to 10/11, that only effects adobe 9, win 7 users, downloading and saving from websites configured similarly to the elector magazine site.

Will let Elector support know the issue is solved due to your generous support.

Thanks again for all your help, regards George.
georgeh

Postby Elektor Editor » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:29 am

Apparently a rare occurrence of software not working together as it should. Similar problems were not reported by any of our clients.
We thank George for reporting his problems though and Ag for his advice.
The solution being identified we believe this matter is solved now and close the thread.
Elektor Editor

Return to Non Technical