Esr Meter usage?

Equipment, circuits, projects, procedures

Esr Meter usage?

Postby Savetheday » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi all
I have just got an elektor esr meter from year 2002/9. I read information on the internet but it's too complicated for me. Could you guys explain it in a more basic manner? How it works and etc.? Is there any chart to compare the values?
When i turn it on there is 1 value on the screen but if i try to put to testers together it shows 1.0 and if i try to measure the capacitor like 470 uF 25V it shows 1.7 how could i know if it working properly?
Thanks.
Attachments
Foto 2-3.JPG
Foto 1-2.JPG
Foto 1-1.JPG
Savetheday

Re: Esr Meter usage?

Postby Savetheday » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:19 am

and this photo
Attachments
Foto 5.JPG
Savetheday

Postby ag » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:36 am

Hi Savetheday,

1.0 Ohms with shorted leads indicates clearly that the ESR tester is not correctly calibrated. I know of no better way to explain the calibration procedure than that described on page 19 of the 2002/9 issue of Elektor. The article also explains very clearly how it works etc. If you do not have access to the article, you can purchase it from Elektor. For a chart, just google "ESR chart".

Regards,
Ag
ag

Postby Savetheday » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:37 am

Sorry for long break reply
First of all I checked IC5 and IC7 component and its around (+ -) 4.98 volts and then disconnected P1

It says Elektro 9/2002 like that
ESR Tester adjustment
Start with the voltmeter circuit.
P1 should be disconnected at this
point. Connect a known, accurate
voltage source of less than 200
mV to point TPA (test point A)
and adjust P5 until the LCD
shows the right value. Remove the voltage source. Connect TPA to TPB,
short the test leads together, and adjust
P2 for a ‘000.0’ reading. Remove the connection.
Reconnect P1.

Ok i set voltage source to 0.150 V and then connected to positive(red cable) crocodile connecter ESR Meter TPA (There are TPA and A labels!) and now which part should i connect negative (black cable) ? There is no GND label?
So I tried with negative crocodle connecter to A lable and then i read (1 .) open circuit i adjust P5 and then with without any idea other potentiometers P2,P3,P4 but no changes.it's still (1 -)
Last question do we need extra DMM for readings i'm looking only Esr Meter screen.
Thanks
Savetheday

Return to Test & Measurement