The Elektor Forum will close. See also this link. From Friday March 15st it is no longer possible to log in to the forum. However, the content of the forum will remain visible until the end of March. As of April 1st the forum will definitely go off the air.

500ppm LCR meter: will not work with AU2011.exe

Equipment, circuits, projects, procedures

Postby funkimunky » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:00 am

I have purchased a pre built and tested lcr meter. I have followed the instructions for first time set up but the software does not seem to work. I have tested voltages as stated and they are correct. The green light goes on on the meter I start the software it says it is connected on port 3. This message then disappears.
I cannot update any firmware, the program just greys out and nothing happens.
I suspect that there is something wrong with the software of the board. perhaps the board is going to sleep.
I would like to reset the board back to prebuilt settings but I cannot find the isp button....
I can update the boot loader using jtag debug adaptor as outlined in the set up instructions.
Should I send this board back for refund or is there anything else I can try?
If i connect the display panel it just says boot loader v 2.0 and then nothing...
funkimunky

Postby funkimunky » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:00 am

I had selected the wrong com port and there was no software installed on the board.
I had a problem resetting the AU2011.exe software so I could select the comport again.
On windows 7 this is stored in
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\FRAUBRJ
I just deleted the folder and I could chose again.
I am now able to install firmware.
funkimunky

Postby snoopy_94 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:00 am

As noted in the first time set up document:
Note: If you have several devices connected to one of the COM ports (serial ports under Windows), disconnect them to make it easier to identify the LCR meter.
If a wrong COM port is already selected, but not connected, you have a warning message:
No connection to port
- check connection
- check port's name

and now, you can select the right port.

Try to start the device with a jumper in J17. This way you tell the bootloader to an update of the firmware before it passes the hand to the firmware already installed.

Jean-Jacques
snoopy_94

Postby funkimunky » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:00 am

I think my problem came for windows 7 automatically installing the device, I did have another device which I think was my usb hub so I had 2 different ports to choose from. This gave me a 50/50 chance of getting it right, I chose unwisely.

I didn't get the warning message that you mention in your post

No connection to port
- check connection
- check port's name

and I couldnt select the select port option I dont know why?

au2011 ver 2.1.2
bootloader ver 2.0
os win 7 64 bit

It was difficult to tell that this was the problem as it was the first time I used the software. I just wanted to mention how to I solved the software locking to the wrong port with reseting the options by deleting the local preferences file.

Its all working now apart for problems trimming closed connection on 10Khz I am looking at the other posts regarding this issue.

I know I sounded a bit arsey in my first post but I was totally bamboozled and a bit worried that I had gone above my abilities to comprehend the hardware/software I didn't know what to do next, sorry for the tone.

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue.
funkimunky

Postby snoopy_94 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:00 am

When it is not possible to disconnect the other USB devices, it is possible to recognize the port used by the LCR-Meter by running the AU2011 program - without physically connecting the LCR-Meter. By the "Port" menu note all the names of ports already present. So when you connect the LCR-Meter, the additional port is that you must select!

About the problem of the Trim, it is also probably linked to another problem when measuring low resistance (< 1 ohm). I am working to address these issues.

Jean-Jacques
snoopy_94

Return to Test & Measurement