Gee-Whiz USB to GP-IB converter

Equipment, circuits, projects, procedures

Postby andersg » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:00 am

Note that there is an updated firmware available at http://www.dalton.ax/gpib/

You should see up to 50kb/s transfer speed now. In my lab setup I measured pushing binary data from a HP 3852A.
andersg
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:48 am

Postby graxam » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:00 am

Hi Anders,

Just tried to download the file but the 'Release' version is an empty link. The debug version works however.

Thank you very much for keeping this project in your thoughts it is much appreciated.

Wanglib worked well btw. A bit involved to get it installed though. Its now in the official Python Module docs.

Very best wishes

Graxam
graxam
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:48 am

Postby andersg » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:00 am

Sorry about that. It was a typo. It is March now, not Feb... Reload the page. Try the release version and see if you get a speed improvement.

Note though that each instrument has their own idiosyncracies. When tuning the GPIB stuff for HPDisk I got good performance on the HP 44788 GPIB card on the 3852A, but performance on my HP 1631D was much slower. Ie sometimes the instrument is the limiting factor. Still the performance I see now on HPDisk is comparable to the old floppy it emulates on raw speed and searches are naturally orders of magnitude faster.
andersg
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:48 am

Re: Gee-Whiz USB to GP-IB converter

Postby andersg » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:38 am

Just an update...

I have posted an updated firmware HEX-file on http://www.dalton.ax/gpib/

This firmware corrects a problem I ran into on the HP/Agilent 6038A programmable power supply. The problem was that I could send commands to the unit just fine, but any attempt do query the intrument, ie ID? or VOUT? would light the error led on the instrument and produce an endless string of linefeeds on the output. Oddly, serial poll worked fine and the instrument was responsive, ie a ++clr would reset it.

Turned out that the 6038, and presumably the rest of the instruments in the 603X range wants an untalk, immediately after the final EOI. With that change PSU now plays ball. Oddly, this is the first instrument I have seen that exhibits this behaviour and I have tested with quite a few.

Image
HP/Agilent 6038A 200W 0..60V 0..10A PSU

I have also been playing with a HP 8903 audio analyser and will post some excel files that lets you grab and plot data through GPIB later.
andersg
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:48 am

Re: Gee-Whiz USB to GP-IB converter

Postby andersg » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:47 am

A amall update: New firmware will be posted shortly. This version has some major fixes, mainly relating to running the adapter in DEVICE mode. This version now works with John Miles' 7470.exe plotter emulator (below). Thanks to all that have provided feedback and encouragement!

Please also see my HPDisk project.

plot0008.gif
HP8590A plot
plot0008.gif (9.33 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
andersg
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:48 am

Re: Gee-Whiz USB to GP-IB converter

Postby andersg » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:21 am

New firmware posted. This one is compiled with MPLABx and XC8 and about 30% faster. It also correct some issues with EZGPIB.

There are some unresolved issues with EZGPIB though. Appears to be either timing-related or due to the way EZGPIB handles strings. There is currently no way for me to troubleshoot that further, as I do not have access to the EZGPIB source. I, myself use Excel and VBA to program data collection as I do post-processing in Excel anyway.
andersg
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:48 am

Previous

Return to Test & Measurement

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest