The Elektor Forum will close. See also this link. From Friday March 15st it is no longer possible to log in to the forum. However, the content of the forum will remain visible until the end of March. As of April 1st the forum will definitely go off the air.

Class D Amplifiers

HiFi, LoFi, Tubes, Transistors, ICs, Commercial, DIY

Postby melb » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:00 am

I am interested in designing and building Class D Amps.
melb

Postby inojim » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:00 am

Hello, Mel.

Class D amps are becoming very popular because of their size and efficiency, and because contemporary ones are judged by many to sound as good as most linear power amps. A good understanding of Class D amps can be had by studying very early magazine articles. If you have access to back issues of the UK publication Wireless World, there was a series of articles by Messrs. Turnbull and Townsend back in 1965. I have fairly good scans of these articles, courtesy of Doug Self, and could make them available if anyone is interested and posts a reply to this effect.
inojim

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:00 am

The Class D Amp, in the Jan-Feb Issue of Elektor looks good. The 555 timer are used for the PWM. What I wonder is about the Clock frequency to reduce the intermodulation products which are a good -60dB. Could the Clock frequency be adjusted to say 220 kHz and 270 kHz to make the intermodulation a lot better. Yes the filters too would have to be adjusted accordingly. Has anyone tried this? How easy is it?

Postby johnhind » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:00 am

Reading the Jan-Feb design, it occurred that it ought to be possible to modernize the whole Class D concept. I'm no audio designer, so it is not a project for me, but here are some ideas:

Use a four MOSFET full bridge to drive each loudspeaker. This avoids the need for the large output capacitor or a bi-polar power supply.

Use a boost converter to develop the loudspeaker drive voltage from a 5v (USB) DC logic supply. Control the drive voltage according to demanded gain and loudspeaker impedance to maximize the dynamic range of the amplifier.

Use the driver MOSFETS and/or the boost converter to implement protection and slow-start circuits avoiding the need for the electromagnetic relay.

Use a microcontroller for the modulation circuit and general control. Could maybe accept digital (TOSLINK / USB) inputs as well as analogue (preferably differential).
johnhind

Return to Audio & Video