The Elektor Forum will close. See also this link. From Friday March 15st it is no longer possible to log in to the forum. However, the content of the forum will remain visible until the end of March. As of April 1st the forum will definitely go off the air.

Quad Screen Video Display

HiFi, LoFi, Tubes, Transistors, ICs, Commercial, DIY

Postby zarmaxim » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:00 am

I have searched the internet as best I can, but I am coming up empty handed. I would like to build a video switch box that takes up to four input signals and combines them onto one screen. ie a QUAD split screen of four video inputs so that you can view all four inputs simultanouesly.

Although this is a very common feature for stock standard, off the shelf Security CAM based equipment no one seems to have attempted this at home ... .

I have found numerous articles on sequential video switching, including one that was published by Elektor but despite finding many datasheets on Ics and product brochues on complete products, all I want is a diagram that shows how to create such a system DIY.

Does anyone one know where I can get information on this topic, cct diagram etc - it would be greatly appreciated.

Zarmaxim
zarmaxim

Postby phonoplug1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:00 am

Its not a particularly simple thing to do... thats why. I guess you'd need to digitise the inputs then process them to re-construct a single screen using data from the 4 inputs.

The concept isn't particularly complex, but implementation may well be. Assuming the output screen is the same resolution as the input signals then you'd need to average 2 pixels in both X and Y for each pixel output.

Would need enough memory to buffer a full frame of each input. Alternatively you could multiplex the inputs if its ok for each picture in the output to be a bit steppy/jumpy.
phonoplug1

Return to Audio & Video