The Elektor Forum will close. See also this link. From Friday March 15st it is no longer possible to log in to the forum. However, the content of the forum will remain visible until the end of March. As of April 1st the forum will definitely go off the air.

Crescendo Millenium Edition amplifier

HiFi, LoFi, Tubes, Transistors, ICs, Commercial, DIY

Postby robertparits » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:00 am

I am thinking to build the Crescendo Millenium Edition amplifier.
Are there corrections to the original article?
Can i replace the power transistors with IRFP240-IRFP9240?
In the offset compensation circuit, can i use the NE5534 IC?
Thanks.
robertparits

Postby yvonne » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:00 am

A capacitor is a device that can store electrical charge. Because it can store a charge and then release that charge, it resists any change of voltage across it. Because of this, it can be used to "damp" changes in voltage, and it can also be used to block DC while permitting AC to "pass through" it (which is called filtering or coupling, depending on the circuit). The capacitor's one ability can be applied in a number of ways in electronic circuits, and it makes the capacitor an indispensable electronic component. The capacitor is the component that employs the electronic characteristic we call capacitance, which is the resistance of something to a change in voltage across it.
A capacitor is employed in simple rectifiers to smooth the top of the rectified DC output. In some applications a capacitor can be used to reduce the spark created by the opening of the points on a switch or relay. (It also couples much of the "noise" of the spark across itself to keep it out of the circuit.) A capacitorcombined with an inductor (coil) is the basis of a radio receiver circuit. (Capacitance and inductance can loosely be described as opposites of each other.) Capacitors are also used in filter circuits; they are used to block the DC and low-frequency components of electrical signals in amplifiers and other circuits. A capacitor can be combined with other components to provide timing in circuits, or affect some "selectivity" of frequencies in circuits. Capacitors also find broad application wherein they couple signals from one part or stage of a circuit to another stage.'
yvonne

Postby ap reddy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:00 am

Hi!
I am an elektor fan from India.I built a few amps from this magazine incl. the Hexfet amp & the results are awesome.
Saw your thread about building the Millenium amp, I am planning to do the same now. Did u complete the project, if so whats your feedback?
I am not a highly competent expert, but I know for a fact that you cannot use IRF series mosfets in this design.Since the original pair used are not available at my place, I have decided to go in for the available BUZ901/BUZ906 pair (higher specs than 2SK series).
But there is a problem.Since these devices have a negative temp.coeff. as opposed to the 2SK pair,the quiescent current setting section will have to be modified to suit them, and I am currently on this job.
Has anyone out there faced a similar prob. Please reply.
ap reddy

Re: Crescendo Millenium Edition amplifier

Postby deltalight » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:42 am

ap reddy,

You can get matched 2SK1530/2SJ201 from eBay. I see Aussie Anthony Holton is now designing with Exicon parts.
deltalight

Return to Audio & Video