The Elektor Forum will close. See also this link. From Friday March 15st it is no longer possible to log in to the forum. However, the content of the forum will remain visible until the end of March. As of April 1st the forum will definitely go off the air.

WANTED: The Truth, how long is the wavelength of 150 MHz? (i

The radio-active topic

WANTED: The Truth, how long is the wavelength of 150 MHz? (i

Postby 1est » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:55 am

WANTED: The Truth, how long is the wavelength of 150 MHz? (inside transmitter) Hint: it is 2 Meters at the aerial

Could I nominate about 2.28 µm* (about 2.28 micrometers)

Why do I say that?

lets see 50 Hz mains comes from the power, it gets rectified then filtered, as the amplifier ages the chemicals inside the electrolytic dry out 50 Hz hum can be heard from the speakers, the filter capacitors gets replaced and $BINGO$ the hum magical disappear (well not real magic, I have done it a few times myself to silence mains hum.)

A musical friend of mine identified this 50 Hz hum as close to a musical note G1 & (G#1/Ab1) that is 49 Hz & 51.9 Hz respectively and 7.0409 & 6.6457 Meters respectively.
https://pages.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html and using their given speed of sound 345 meters per second.

OK lets go a step closer to the truth.
50 Hertz mains can be displayed on a oscilloscope using the slow horizontal sweep 20 milli seconds will display one complete cycle, as we increase the horizontal sweep of the oscilloscope in steps of 5 and 2 or increase by ten every second step, do that enough times and guess what? 1 MHz can be displayed on the same oscilloscope, thats the same 1 MHz that fits in the middle of the AM (Amplitude Modulation) band broadcast radio. , go up a bit further if the oscilloscope can handle it you get 150 MHz notice that the 2,5 steps in the oscilloscope horizontal sweep went up in a linear fashion and did not suddenly jump [so 1MHz looks 300 meters long in relationship to the 50Hz ]

*The reason for uncertainly on the wavelength using 150 Mhz as a example, is there is a difference between the RF through air waves and RF through wiring.
1est

Return to RF & Communications