Power consumption of Elektor devices

Also covers batteries and chargers

Postby davorlister » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:00 am

I wonder why is it so difficult to find data on power consumption of the most projects, Elektor or otherwise.

Recently I wanted to find out how feasible it would be to power a Raspberry board with batteries, as I thought it would make for a smart outdoor solution. Few hours later I was (almost) certain it was not what I want, as it draws more current than the rest of the stuff I carry around. Average power consumption of Raspberry is still a mystery to me. Anyway, a no-go.

Next I looked for information on power consumption of devices published in Elektor and other magazines. I'm not into conspiracy theories, but for the most projects it is a well kept secret.

I like my electronics on the go, and it means batteries. In case of 12V supplies it means lots of batteries. Feeding some power hog means a ridiculous pile of batteries.
davorlister

Postby thijsbeckers » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:00 am

Hi DavorLister,

I think that for most products/projects where operation on a wall wart or other non portable power source is suggested, it is safe to say they're not specifically designed to be low power.
And if low power consumption had been a key point, it'll probably end up as a technical spec.

Cheers,
Thijs
thijsbeckers

Return to Power Supplies