The Elektor Forum will close. See also this link. From Friday March 15st it is no longer possible to log in to the forum. However, the content of the forum will remain visible until the end of March. As of April 1st the forum will definitely go off the air.

Efficient method to conv. 230V AC to 30V AC only 5-10mA

Also covers batteries and chargers

Efficient method to conv. 230V AC to 30V AC only 5-10mA

Postby raxon » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:58 pm

Efficient method for converting 230V AC (Germany) to 30V AC with only 5-10mA needed?

Hello, :)

so far I use the good old "capacitor + resistor divider" method. It is easy to calculate that this mainly generates loss.
Therefore, I thought about winding my own transformer (first coil 3-4 turns, second 800+).
Before I go for that folly, I wanted to ask whether there might not be a better (integrated) solution. Is there any building block that could help me here?

Thanks for your help!
raxon

Re: Efficient method to conv. 230V AC to 30V AC only 5-10mA

Postby SteveMJ » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:38 am

I think that you will find the integrated solution is a transformer...

There are methods that you allude to using resistor and capacitors. IIRC Microchip had some good application notes for this.

Regards, Stephen
SteveMJ

Postby raxon » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:27 pm

SteveMJ wrote:I think that you will find the integrated solution is a transformer...

There are methods that you allude to using resistor and capacitors. IIRC Microchip had some good application notes for this.

In this case, the voltage divider would piss about 87% down the drain. Are there no helpful integrated circuits as of yet?
raxon

Postby SteveMJ » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:35 pm

raxon wrote:
SteveMJ wrote:I think that you will find the integrated solution is a transformer...

In this case, the voltage divider would piss about 87% down the drain. Are there no helpful integrated circuits as of yet?

A transformer sounds like the answer then.

When you meant an integrated solution, did you mean integrated circuit? Any semiconductor device would require some form of energy store//transfer.
SteveMJ

Postby raxon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:38 am

When you meant an integrated solution, did you mean integrated circuit? Any semiconductor device would require some form of energy store//transfer.

I meant the combination of an integrated circuit and some additional "gadgets", such as capacitor(s) and resistances. In short, a circuit which "reprocesses" at least some of the - otherwise lost - 87% (in this case).
With a transformer (current solution, inflexible and bulky) I am likely losing 40-75% in this scenario as well.
raxon

Postby nophead » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:34 pm

A capacitive dropper doesn't waste any energy, it doesn't get hot like a resistor. In practice practice you add a series resistor to limit inrush current and perhaps some form of shunt regulation if the load is not a constant current, so those would waste some.
nophead

Return to Power Supplies