The Elektor Forum will close. See also this link. From Friday March 15st it is no longer possible to log in to the forum. However, the content of the forum will remain visible until the end of March. As of April 1st the forum will definitely go off the air.

Data Logger “deLuxe"

The topic on number crunching

Postby john-h » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:00 am

Hi there
Why did it take almost 10 months from my original post (JMH)
for elector to acknowlage any problem?
I wasted almost 1 day on getting it working.
It appears some cards work with the circuit as published but I have'nt found one yet?
john-h

Postby Elektor Editor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:00 am

the French editor in charge of this project retired last year November and there were problems with handing over his files and records. One of these covered the values of the level conversion resistors in the datalogger project. Again, sorry for the delay in publishing the correction.

Jan
Elektor Editor

Postby mehdi » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 am

Hello everyone,
I just bought the data logger for a project but I need to change the sampling period: instead of 1 seconds I need 0.01 seconds (a frequency of 100 Hz).
I don't need the LCD display.
help me please for this part of programming.
Thank you in advance,
mehdi

Postby echase » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:00 am

Although the author glibly says break open a SD card reader to get a socket there are actually lots of totally different sockets so the chance of getting one that fits after breaking open your unit is minimal.

Of the many supplied by Farnell and RS, only the multicomp SDAMB-01215BT00 fits the foil pattern, although some others may fit the contact pattern, but certainly not the mechanical fixings pattern. Unfortunately though my stated one from Farnell (only £1) has no cover, so something like a clothes peg would have to be fitted to hold the card in place.

What type does the official kit use?
echase

PS I bought just the bare PCB as I have a lot of the other parts already.

It would have helped the confusion mentioned by others here if Elektor had, on their otherwise high quality PCB, labelled the pin numbers of the SD socket.

Upon looking again at the article photos it looks as if this multicomp socket without cover is one used. How is the card held in? Is there enough of a groove in the plastic to hold it without a cover?

Would the project have worked with something like the PIC18F4520 which has similar/same memory and pinout but internal clock, so crystal unnecessary? Small change to software needed to enable internal clock.
echase

Can the bare PIC be programmed with other than Mikro Elektronika and the bootloader? E.g. if I make up a piece of veroboard with a 40 pin socket and an ISCP connector can I just take the hex file without the bootloader and load it in using a PICKIT2 with its Microchip supplied software.
echase

Postby echase » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:00 am

The Editor’s resistor changes corrected the circuit diagram. But, as JMH said, the PCB is different to the circuit. People seem to be reporting that the circuit actually works despite the errors. Is this right?

Garlic on the German site rewired his PCB to make it match the revised circuit diagram, but he was still having problems with his circuit. But maybe that was due to factors other than the resistor problem. Should I follow Garlic and rewire my PCB?

If you use Google Translate on the German site you can roughly follow it. http://www.elektor.de/forum/foren-ubersicht/elektor-foren-der-treffpunkt-fur-elektroniker/forum/foren-ubersicht/elektor-foren-der-treffpunkt-fur-elektroniker/datenlogger-und-dc-powermeter.392998.lynkx?pageStart=61

Garlic also talked of using Microchip MPLAB to ‘burn’ the PIC, similar to what I want to do with PICKIT, but not clear from the translation if he succeeded.

I wonder whether the disappearance of the author has to do with spam following the publication of his email address. When I recently wrote a constructional article for an electronics magazine I considered adding my email address, but instead told readers to write to me via the Forum and have not had spam problems resulting.

PS I have now looked again at the PCB just bought and see that:

1)The foil pattern has been changed so it now matches the circuit diagram
2)The component values screen printed on it are the new corrected ones.

So I don’t have to do any of the changes mentioned above.

BUT would it not have been sensible for Elektor to have:

1)Put Rev A or similar on the PCB to distinguish it for the old version
2)Add a comment on this forum to say its been changed
3)Amend the article foil pattern and component values to match or add an erratum statement somewhere in the article currently sold as a download? The one sold is still the original erroneous one.
echase

Postby manish12 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:00 am

my data-logger is working now, with my own designed pcb ,and new version of code which is available at this site .

keep trying until success,

i actually completed my own programmed data logger , with simple function ,

then i try again to make this workable too ,

i hope this info give more strength to others to make this nice project .
manish12

Postby echase » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:00 am

How did you programme your PIC? Did you load the hex with the recommended Mikro Elektronika? I was hoping to use a PICKit 2.
echase

Postby manish12 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:00 am

echaseHow did you programme your PIC? Did you load the hex with the recommended Mikro Elektronika? I was hoping to use a PICKit 2.

i use serial port programmer [jmd],icprog software !
it is too slow to write pic but very simple and handy
surprise >> it can program PIC18F452 !
manish12

PreviousNext

Return to Microcontrollers & Embedded