The Elektor Forum will close. See also this link. From Friday March 15st it is no longer possible to log in to the forum. However, the content of the forum will remain visible until the end of March. As of April 1st the forum will definitely go off the air.

Data Logger “deLuxe"

The topic on number crunching

Postby john-h » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:00 am

Hi there Guys
I must say I am a bit disappointed with Elektor
I posted doubts (as JMH )
and a schematic of a potential problem with the design almost a month ago now and emailed them on the feedback tab of the web page asking them to clarify the schematic as the circuit diagram doesn't appear to be consistent with the foil pattern on the pages of the magazine.
As yet I have had no reply or seen any confirmation form them to the as to which is the correct approach.

Is anyone at elektor interested in the wellbeing of its loyal subscribers??

Another thing is if you look at the foil pattern the auto routing is a real mess there are 5 or so tracks unnecessarily tangled up inside the micro controller foot print changing layers etc all unnecessary.
Has a human even checked the output of the auto router or just let it rip ?

IS anyone at elecktor Listening???
Any feedback welcomed.
A lot of hard working people are trying to get this thing to work.
john-h

Postby knoblauch » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:00 am

Hi John-H,
I understood your intention with the schematic and i just can say: thanks! I also have the "hard-working" experience behind me and can say that both versions are working properly, the version with failures (as described) and the version without failures. Burkhard Kainka, an author of many interesting projects and books explained on the german forum why the version with failures works too. This were just two lucky failures, i have built my logger now like in the schematic in Elektor, the layout has min. two mistakes. However i am discontent too writing to the author and getting no answer...
knoblauch

Postby manish12 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:00 am

i draw the layout for myself ,from circuit which given in the magazine . later on i correct the resistor component as jmh says.
3.3k 2.2k

it is small in size , single side , finish too up to a appreciable level .

here i attach a look of it ?

not able to upload it ??????????
manish12

Postby eric_s » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:00 am

Hi

I built the circuit from the Elektor kit and it works fine. The kit has the 2.2k and 3.3k resistors as in the circuit diagram to produce 2v for a logical "1". I guess that 2V is good enough to work.

I do have a problem that the external trigger mode works, but the actual trigger level is somewhere below the setting voltage.
eric_s

Postby atcons » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:00 am

manish12i have differnt problem ,

whenever , i switch on the supply lcd showe

"INIT MEMORY"

then after some time

"INIT MEMORY FAIL
SYSTEM STOPPED"

what should be the problem ,

i try diff memory cards,etc format it using FAT option etc.

i just download the .hex file which is in the zip file , lcd shows clock >> it is ok , but only problem with init memory ??

plz any one fix it >>

I have made this project today and I had the same problem.
After reset the message "INIT MEMORY FAIL
SYSTEM STOPED"
I have found that there wasn't voltage on card shocked because the card pins aren't in order.Pin 1 is not the first pin.On the cut side is the pin 9 and after this is the pin 1.See attachment.So the placement of the shocket on the board must be placed so pin 9(cut side) is not connected.The pin after pin 9 is pin 1
Attachments
sdcard-9p.gif
atcons

Postby atcons » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:00 am

ATTENTION.
If you take the message ''INIT MEMORY FAIL SYSTEM STOPPED'' check if the base of the SD card is correctly placed on the board.See attachment for pins' numbers
Attachments
en_sdcard-9p.gif
atcons

Postby pj2br » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:00 am

ATCONSATTENTION.
If you take the message ''INIT MEMORY FAIL SYSTEM STOPPED'' check if the base of the SD card is correctly placed on the board.See attachment for pins' numbers

Dear Atcon
I just completed the assembly of the Data Logger. The same error code you received, I am also receiving. What tips can you give me to solve this problem? The SD socket looks as if it is installed correctly (pin 9 not connected).
pj2br

Postby mactitan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:00 am

Oh my, I have just completed my order for this Data Logger Kit and now I read of all these problems? What can I look forward to with this project, many hours of frustration? Problem solving, doing Elektors' quality control for them?
The other irritating fact is the lack of feedback from Elektor or the author when "paying" customers are having problems with the supplied "faulty goods" and are respectfully seeking help. I am sure you can tell this is not the first time I have bought a "lemon" from Elektor of late? Enough to cause me to voice my opinion even before I receive the product.
Come-on Elektor, get your act together, bring back the quality and dedication that for decades inspired so many to take the plunge into this fascinating world of electronics.
Ian McLeod. Ontario. Canada.
mactitan

Postby mactitan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:00 am

I will have to apologize to Elektor and the author of the SD- Delux data logger project for my premature and unfounded criticism relating to this project. I received the kit yesterday, constructed it and hey Presto, it works, fantastic, witout any problems what-so-ever.
I do apologize people.
Ian McLeod.
mactitan

Postby Elektor Editor » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:00 am

Summarizing, the only correction necessary for the project is to swap the values of R5-R7-R9 with those of R6-R8-R10. This will set up the correct conversion ratio for the USB-PIC connections, although it also works unchanged, as evidenced here.

With apologies for the delay, a correction has been issued on the project page (DataLogger deLuxe, March 2008).
Elektor Editor

PreviousNext

Return to Microcontrollers & Embedded