The Elektor Forum will close. See also this link. From Friday March 15st it is no longer possible to log in to the forum. However, the content of the forum will remain visible until the end of March. As of April 1st the forum will definitely go off the air.

USB Host to dual serial converter?

The topic on number crunching

Postby fransk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:00 am

I wanted to use my new USB-FT232R board to connect a keyboard (music instrument), only having a USB-midi connection, to a serial midi controller, so that I can change the audio master volume by foot.

Reading some specs of the FT232 chip, it seems that this nice board cannot be used here :
    * need a USB Host controller, as the keyboard is a slave* the FTDI debugger uses the serial port; but the application requires the serial port, also during debugging

Does someone have an idea / hint to solve this?

n.b. The size of the converter is important, the pedal has not much space to mount it inside, somethin larger then the USB-FT232R board will not fit.
fransk

Postby immernocharm » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:00 am

Assuming your USB MIDI keyboard is class-compliant (i.e. when you plug it into a computer, it is recognised automatically without having to load special drivers first) you will need a device which is a USB host to connect it to.

For research purposes you might look at products like this.'
immernocharm

Return to Microcontrollers & Embedded