The Elektor Forum will close. See also this link. From Friday March 15st it is no longer possible to log in to the forum. However, the content of the forum will remain visible until the end of March. As of April 1st the forum will definitely go off the air.

sceptre 3-axis accelerometer doesn't function

The topic on number crunching

Postby j.c.r. » Mon May 30, 2011 12:00 am

I have a new sceptre board that when it came home was not working, It had software version 1.31.

I upgraded to the latest version downloaded from the Elektor website and then it began to work, but the accelerometer does not seem to work at all, as it shows the value 999 for the three axes, in any position, also the thermometer shows the wrong temperature signaling we are at 29ºC when we are at 22ºC

I recompiled the software without results, I have also traced the software without getting results.
What more I can do, without return it?
anyone knows something about this problem?

Thank you.

attached the t_log and a_log from the sceptre:
Attachments
a-log.txt
(6.45 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
t-log.txt
(4.39 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
j.c.r.

Postby immernocharm » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:00 am

I have had a similar experience ... the board did not work until flashed with the same code that was supposed to be pre-preprogrammed. Bizarrely, it verified with preload_20100131.hex but did not come to life until flashed with it again using Flash Magic.

The thermometer is working but appears to be inaccurate by about +2C. The accelerometer is stuck on 999 on all axes even with links JP13/14 closed, which should set it at maximum sensitivity. The 1-wire serial number looks correct in sys_info.txt so comms with the device should be OK -- perhaps it's just an issue with the driver?
Attachments
a-log.1.txt
(6.45 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
immernocharm

Postby dontwo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 am

I found that the pads of JP7 had to be bridged in order to provide Vref to the A/D converter. My device now works as advertised.
dontwo

Postby immernocharm » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:00 am

@dontwo: many thanks, that's fixed it! Makes sense when you think about it ... the three outputs of the accelerometer are analogue so that's why the A/D converter needs the correct reference.

In the meantime I've also checked the thermometer and it is in fact accurate (more accurate than my room thermometer!).
immernocharm

Return to Microcontrollers & Embedded