Solar Panels - Cost?

Title basically says it all

Solar Panels - Cost?

Postby alice915 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:53 am

I want to know as to how much it costs to install the panels if you buy them (not lease) and whats your break even point, how much you save a month approximately?

So lets just use for example a single family home in the SFV area lets say 3-4 bedrooms, 1,800 sq ft or so.

Let me know any figures you may have.

Thanks in advance!
alice915

Re: Solar Panels - Cost?

Postby weijing3333 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:27 am

These programs are changing all the time, so it's best to check the specifics of the lease program you are evaluating with each solar company you are speaking with since the mechanics of lease program you are describing also exists. My lease was for the solar panels themselves - similar to a car lease with a down payment then an interest rate on a stream of payments based on our credit/income. We chose that because it was less $ out of pocket up front, and SolarCity guaranteed & warrantied & monitored our panels for 20-yrs (at the time they'd only provide those services for 5 years if you purchased the system).

My understanding is also that in LA, everybody is still required to be connected to the grid (the larger electric utility framework serving the whole area) - so even if you generate your own electricity on a lease or owning it, you pay $20ish/month to be connected no matter what. Thus your meter spins backwards generating electricity for the grid when you generate excess, or conversely at night you can use the power from the grid. I think there are other utility districts where you can be 'off grid' (like the in desert, mountains, etc) where it's harder to connect so your solar system would truly be 'stand alone' there.
weijing3333

Return to Home, Garden, Games, Hobby