The Elektor Forum will close. See also this link. From Friday March 15st it is no longer possible to log in to the forum. However, the content of the forum will remain visible until the end of March. As of April 1st the forum will definitely go off the air.

Digital Camera / Security Device?

Title basically says it all

Postby fido » Wed May 30, 2007 12:00 am

Hi,

Don't think this is the right forum but perhaps someone can help me out.

A house a few doors along has been burgled (sneak thief in the middle of the afternoon) and I thought I'd take a digital camera apart so that the lens, flash and light sensor were located outside with the storage media inside using a PIR to activate the camera

Hopefully this would create a device that could be used to record "visitors" at a reasonably low cost.

I realise that the circuitry is probably all on one board but does anyone have any comments on the thoery & the practical application - I've found commercial devices but the costs are over £500...

I guess I'm really asking if anyone knows the maximum practical distance that a digital camera lens can be from the "body"

Thanks

F
fido

Postby etw » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:00 am

Well, I would think you would not need to take a digital camera apart for that. Also I think it is not even possible coz of camera's being pretty well integrated between optics and storage. You would probably be left with a camera that does not work anymore.

Not exactly clear to me wether you were thinking video or still camera.

Anyway, wouldn't a solution be a webcam outside and a computer inside with software that takes pictures every 30 secs and stores those, or that only takes pics if the image changes (e.g. a burglar appearing). Doe not need to be expensive, especially if you already have a computer.

Perhaps you would not even need to run a cable as there are wireless webcams.

Webcams can take stills and movie. If quality is an issue, you may even use an old digital film camera and run that as a webcam (you may need a video In port then)

Good luck
etw

Return to Home, Garden, Games, Hobby