Profiler revival

The electronics enthusiast's product design cycle

Profiler revival

Postby ymasquel » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:32 pm

Hello frustrated Profiler owner,

Colinbus is no more active. Some Profiler owners are probably now "ex-users" or are searching for hardware/software solutions not to throw this good (rather) mechanic to the trash can.

I was happy to get one of this milling machine from a generous owner but the soft was not portable to another PC.

After some regulations and analyses, I made a milling machine usable via a parallel interface with a free software on PC (TURBOCNC in MSDOS :o ).
I offered the whole system to the model making club of my municipality.

Obviously a parallel interface imposes constraints for evolution of the material supporting the software (PC) as well as in general evolutions.

I kept rehearsing the problem and arrived at a conclusion that a radical change was imperative:
- upgrade to an USB interface;
- replace the original card (from Colinbus)and its processor by a more evolutionary environment;
- driving under any operating system (Linux, MacOS, Windows) thanks to one independent software on the HOST
- use free softwares;

Look at the result : look at PROFILER REVIVAL.
Excuse the pretty poor quality of the video (the sequence was not selected for the festival) but you can see evolving with flexibility a 5mm diameter end mill in a depth of 4mm in MDF.
Activation of the spindle motor by M code orders as well as a possible system of cooling by 230V plugs (1380W by plug).

Let me know your interest known for the project :
- a PCB directly plugged on the PROFILER main board exists;
- Some upgrades for tool length measure are simple to implement. The model you see on the video is rustic seemingly but reliable and of optical type. Its setting-up out of the working surface was made possible by the replacement of the ridiculous original spindle motor by a more serious but more cumbersome machine which, of the fact, shifts the working space partially out of the table (the lost working space become almost useless).

For information, the upgrade is based on GRBL on an Arduino Uno.
Amicalement,
Yves.
ymasquel
Site Admin

Return to CAD, Simulation, PCBs, Making, 3D Printing