Elektor PCB prototyper - first PCB made!

The electronics enthusiast's product design cycle

Postby mikefi » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:00 am

Hello,

We received our Prototyper from Clolinbus few weeks ago. Due holidays, I didn't have a change to test the machine until today.

Just made a first PCB with the prototyper few minutes ago.
I have to say that I'm very pleased with the milling quality and ease of use.

After the CAM files were exported from PADS, it took only about couple of minutes to get the milling process started.

I was also surprised how relatively quiet the machine is during milling.
Off course it makes some noise, but I didn't have to leave the room like I always have to with some other PCB milling machines.

Id like to hear other users experience with the machine too.'
mikefi

Postby buzzard » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:00 am

Hi
I am considering buying one.
How long did it take from ordering until delivery of your machine.
Have you any pics of boards that you have made. It would be good to hear from someone independent of Elektor / Colinbus for their comments and experiences of this machine.
TIA
buzzard

Postby mikefi » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:00 am

I'm milling more PCBs next week, I'll try to post some photos of the results.

The downside of this machine was the long delivery time, about 6 months :|
This was a problem because we had to outsource our prototyping for a while.

I don't know if the delivery time is faster now, but I was one of the first ones to order the machine when it was released in december 2010.

Despite the long delivery time, I think the pcb-prototyper is worth the price.

The software (PCB module) is one of the best I've seen in PCB milling machines.
mikefi

Postby buzzard » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:00 am

Hi
Thanks for the information about delivery, I will try and find out what the current delivery time is. It would be very interesting to see photos of your boards.
George
buzzard

Postby hacklordsniper » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:00 am

I ordered mine too, will share a review with people here next week when i pick it up in Belgium.

Im lurking to buy this thing for months now but i have not found any experience about the machine. What calmed me down is the fact i spoke with one of production managers which speaks my native language since he is from my country.

I would like to ask author of this topic where he got the vacum extraction unit adapter and what kind of vacum unit is he using. Does the unit really have a cyclone chamber integrated?
hacklordsniper

Postby timo2824 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:00 am

Prototype Board:

'
timo2824

Postby mikefi » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:00 am

I'm sorry to say this, but I have to change my opinnion about the PCB-prototyper and Colinbus company.

After few times use, the machine completely stopped working.

COLINBUS STAFF IS REFUSING TO REPLY ANY OF E-MAILS I HAVE SENT ABOUT THE REPAIR! I HAVE WAITED OVER TWO WEEKS FOR THEIR REPLY.

Does anyone know how to contact the owner of this company?
mikefi

Postby hacklordsniper » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:00 am

Unfortunately my machine came defective too. Unbalaned spindle motor causes vibration which shift the depth micrometer and machine drills deeper and deeper until it sarted to drill its own work table, jaming, breaking the tool and then blewing the control PCB traces. Eventually i repaired the PCB bUt themain problem stays.

You can see it at eevblog http://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4910.0

I could not contact Colinbus since its weekend. I know such things can happen (especially to us early adopters).

however i do not believe that they do not repond to your problem. I consider them te most friendly manufacturer we meet and im not afraid they will not provide me a replacement unit. I will let you know what will happen on monday when i call them.

You can send me a private e-mail and i will ask the guys about your problem.
Also please say us what happened to your machine?
hacklordsniper

Postby hacklordsniper » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 am

I contacted the manufacturer today. The person that speaks my native language is currently away for today and will return tomorrow in morning. But allready the sales manager was sorry and said they will do everything to repair the machine.

I can say Collinbus is a great team and I have no fear about warranty or buying other machines from them!
hacklordsniper

Postby mikefi » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 am

Thanks for your insight hacklordsniper.

Maybe I was too hasty judging the company.
I just got really frustrated because I didn't receive a reply for a week, and all the feedback I have read afterafterwords about the their company and products have been negative until now.

I'll join at the eevblog and post the details of my machine.
mikefi

Next

Return to CAD, Simulation, PCBs, Making, 3D Printing