Python Programming and GUIs

Post here on these publications

Python Programming and GUIs

Postby alanglloyd » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:35 am

I have difficulty making the CD for this book
Downloaded zip, unzipped, opened Nero Burning Rom 7, selected Recorder | Burn Image, it appeared to burn but windows reported "Files ready to be written to CD" of the "boot" folder. clicked OK to continue but returned "Could not be written"

1 Why did windows report "Ready to write" (all other folders written OK).

2 Why did windows not write them with the others, and could it not write them later. Should I have unchecked the auto set "Finalize check box in Nero form.

3 Looking at the bootinst.bat file, there is a frightening message about killing my Windows installation. It also appears to reject a read-only device to install to. Does this mean I need to use a USB stick ,or use a re-wrieable CD

Looked in the book but little help except download the file, and a later description (which was no help to me) in how to make a booteable Linux System on a CD.

Win OS XP

Alan Lloyd
alanglloyd

Re: Python Programming and GUIs

Postby ag » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:45 pm

Hi Alan,

I just downloaded the zip file, unzipped, burned .iso to disc (DVD) and booted KDE version of SLAX (first entry in selection list) from burned DVD. No issues. After shutting down SLAX, was able to boot Windows XP as normal. I have a Toshiba laptop and therefore used the Toshiba Disc Creator to burn the .iso to disc using default settings. I don't use Nero. I suggest you either try downloading the zip file again, or consult a forum more concerned with Nero issues.

But wait... if you can read the bootinst.bat file, then your boot directory has also been written to disc. So where is the problem? Have you tried booting from the burned disc?

Regards,
Ag
ag

Re: Python Programming and GUIs

Postby ag » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:37 am

Hi Alan,

1 Why did windows report "Ready to write" (all other folders written OK).

I think NERO is just asking if you want to burn another disc (in addition the one just burned).

2 Why did windows not write them with the others, and could it not write them later).

Apparently they were written, since you are able to read the file bootinst.bat. By clicking OK, you inadvertently tried to burn the files again to the disc which had already been burned and closed ("Finalize" checkbox).

Should I have unchecked the auto set "Finalize check box in Nero form.

No.

Does this mean I need to use a USB stick ,or use a re-wrieable CD

No. Since the message about killing Windows installation frightens you, you obviously do not want to run that batch file. And you do not need to. Just shut down windows, set up your boot menu to allow booting from CD/DVD device prior to booting from harddisc, insert the burned disc and boot from it. You will be asked which version of SLAX to start.

Regards,
Ag
ag

Return to Books | CDs | DVDs| Videos | Courses | Seminars | Webinars