PCB milling and SMD

OBD, CAN, EV, RV

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:00 am

I am considering investing in a milling machine to mill PCBs for SMD. My budget is in the order of €1000.

I have looked and searched the internet for information on whether it is possible to mill PCBs for SMD with portal milling machines costing about €1000. The information which I have found gives a blurred picture, so before I make any investment in tools for milling PCBs for SMD, I would appreciate getting your experience.

The pin pitch of the SMDs being 1.27mm, 0.8 mm, 0,65 mm, 0.5 mm or 0.4 mm implies a milling accuracy on the width of the isolation path plus a position accuracy of the isolation path of about 0.2mm when summed, which is very close to the width of the milling tools I have seen advertised at reasonable prices. The tools have a V-shape, 0.1mm tip width and 30 degree tip angle.

The Elektor Shop offers a PCB milling system for about €3000, which by far exceeds my budget for this, but can that machine reliably mill PCBs for SMDs with a pin pitch of 0.5 mm?

Do you have any experience in milling PCBs for SMDs? If you have please share it with me.

Return to Automotive Electronics