OBD Simulator

OBD, CAN, EV, RV

Postby mikew » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:00 am

Although it's an old article, I've just made the OBD Simulator. However, I cannot get it to work! Everything seems OK, but it will not respond to ISO-9141 signals in which I'm interested. There is one anomaly; the two LEDs both light up at switch on, but then blink alternately at about one second rate. This is not mentioned in the article, and I wonder if anyone else has any experience with this project?

Thanks,
Mike W
mikew

Postby macdragin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:00 am

any instructions for assembly? I have a kit but just a box of parts?????
macdragin

Postby Elektor Editor » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:00 am

assembly intructions are found in the magazine article originally published in June 2010, like here:

http://www.elektor.com/magazines/2010/june/obd2-mini-simulator.1352041.lynkx

Jan
Elektor Editor

Postby mikew » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:00 am

Did you ever manage to assemble this kit? I still have a "box of bits" that fails to perform as advertised. Enquiries of the Elektor technical assistance have been simply ignored!!

Also, I built the OBD analyser from some time ago; the Atmel chip failed and after a lot of hassle and a long wait managed to buy another from Ozen Elektronik in Istanbul (!) I think the firmware has been changed since the unit doesn't work now - so I have another box of useless and expensive bits....grrrrrr!

Mike W
mikew

Postby mikeswede » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:00 am

Hi Mike

SAME PROBLEM
I also have tried to get the OBD2-simulator to work. I have made a simple breadboard version for the KWP2000 protocols. When I dont connect anything to pin 27 and 28 on the processor, the inputs will be 5V and then the KWP2000 Fast init protocol works.

But when I ground pin 27 to select the KWP2000 5bd init protocol, it fails. Then I think I get the same error as you do. The two LEDs blink alternately twice at about one second rate!

ON TO SOMETHING...
Now I have come a little further...
To be able to use other protocols than the default KWP2000 Fast init you have to connect to the simulator with the KWP2000 Fast init protocol and make changes using the MiniSimConfig_EN.exe program included in the free software kit 080804-11.zip from Elektor.

Since I have an OBD-II Bluetooth Interface dongle that works fine with the default protocol I have tried to connect from a PC. I start the MiniSimConfig program and see the grayed out KWP SLOW, ISO and PWM checkboxes for the missing protocols. I select the paired COM-Port number and press CONNECT. The program connects and I get data from the Interface: ELM327 v1.5, Minisim: AGV-MINI-SIM V1.3 12345-67890-123, but then an error message pops up: AGV-ERROR, Error in communication D1503000... How close can you get?

HW MOD
Since I could not find the correct transistor, I modified the K-Line circuit by changing T2 to 2N7000 with a 1k5 resistor to the gate and added a 5V pull up resistor of 10k to pin 5 on the processor. By the way it seems that the LEDs are turned the wrong way in the Elektor schematic Figure 1.
mikeswede

Postby mikew » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:00 am

Hi,
I only occasionally log in to this forum, hence the time lag; most other forums allow email notice of new posts!!
One of my main complaints was being ignored by the Elektor people when trying to get some response; it's a lot of money for a kit that turns out to be just an expensive 'bag of bits'.
Unfortunately I don't have the means of attacking the problem via Bluetooth. It's now some time since I last fiddled with it, but from memory the program you mention seemed to do nothing. Hence my suspicion that the 'real' firmware, i.e. one that actually works, contained in the purchased AVR is different from that in the zip file.
If you are still interested in pursuing this problem further let me know and perhaps we could exchange notes by email; I've given up on Elektor. I'm also surprised that no-one else seems to have any interest going by the lack of posts.
Regards,
Mike W
mikew

Postby mikeswede » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:00 am

OK Mike,
if you want to reveal an email address I will send you an answer and then you can edit and delete your email from the post again.

I am using my simulator when testing app software, thus it would be good to get it working for more than just the KWP Fast protocol.

Regards,
Mike G
mikeswede

Postby mikew » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:00 am

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reponse, although I'm in no great hurry to 'waste' more time on these two projects. I say 'two' because I also bought the OBD analyser project kit some years ago. Only used it a few times in anger, then the Atmel uC packed up!! After a lot of hassle managed to get one from Ozen Elektronik in Turkey via the UK agent; but now that doesn't work properly either....

My interest in the simulator was both to check out the first project and use it for developing my own software for some other OBD hardware. BTW I have no commercial interest in any of this, so if I may be of any help let me know. My email is mikewharton@btinternet.com
Look forward to hearing from you.
mikew

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:00 am

mikew8760Hi,
Thanks for the quick reponse, although I'm in no great hurry to 'waste' more time on these two projects. I say 'two' because I also bought the OBD analyser project kit some years ago. Only used it a few times in anger, then the Atmel uC packed up!! After a lot of hassle managed to get one from Ozen Elektronik in Turkey via the UK agent; but now that doesn't work properly either....

My interest in the simulator was both to check out the first project and use it for developing my own software for some other OBD hardware. BTW I have no commercial interest in any of this, so if I may be of any help let me know. My email is mikewharton@btinternet.com
Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Mike,

You said you are working with the OBD analyser project kit. I also bought this kit a couple months ago, but still can't manage to let it run properly.

I have tried to email you a couple times, but unfortunately you didn't reply.

I'm looking forward to hear something from you.

Thanks,
Kees

Return to Automotive Electronics