Optimize the Profiler?

Fragen, Erfahrungen und Tipps – von Lesern für Leser

Postby thieu » Wed May 19, 2010 12:00 am

Hello,

I am from Belgium and I want to optimize the performance of the Profiler. Now I have read many topics on this forum. And I saw that PK1 many modifications had done on his profiler.

I saw he had a mod for his Y-axis? Will this one give also a good result?http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Linearfuhrung-Set-20x400-CNC-Eigenbau-/320521295789?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item4aa08ed7ad#ht_500wt_956

I also saw some changes at his X-axis? Maybe you can give me some extra information on this 2 changes?

Your x-axis changes was made because know the motor was used as a lager and thats not good...

Your y-axis solution is also good, but where can i find those parts for these modifications?

Thanks!
thieu

Postby pk1 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:00 am

Hi Thieu,

let me try to answer in poor school-english:

All modifications were done as its goal to optimize profiler for making
doublesided pcbs without colidrive and robby-controller, not for milling heavy material. It took more than a year of lavish and sometimes frustrating work to reach this point. The only remaining parts of colinbus-profiler are case, spindel-rods and motionparts with excentric wheels. All new parts are "homemade". So I think, its not a good idea to copy my way unless you take pleasure in working at, not working with profiler.

best regards

Peter
pk1

Postby pk1 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:00 am

I saw he had a mod for his Y-axis? Will this one give also a good result?http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Linearfuhrung-Set-20x400-CNC-Eigenbau-/320521295789?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item4aa08ed7ad#ht_500wt_956

I cant really assess this.
An important weakness of profiler might be the Y-spindel: TR 12 x 400! Too thin or too long. If you try to find TR 16 x 3 x 400 for replacement, you will have more performance, especially if you take one with circulating-balls-nut (dont know the correct name in english, "Kugelumlaufmutter" in german).

Peter'
pk1

Postby woldig » Wed May 19, 2010 12:00 am

Hi Thieu,

if you use the offer from ebay you would loose free travel in Y-axes of the length of the two times "Wellenhalter" plus once the length of the "Fuehrungswagen". That means if you do this modification your free travel in Y-direction will only be about 240 mm !?!

And, that adds to what Peter (pk1) has already mentioned.

Regards, woldig
woldig

But if I find another type and then I can use more of my y-axis...

It will solve that linear problem of the Y-axis? I going to watch for another spindel for the y-axis...
thieu

Postby woldig » Wed May 19, 2010 12:00 am

Hi, again Thieu!

But if I find another type and then I can use more of my y-axis...

... of course, - the footprint of you PROFILER will become much larger, and you will need more other parts! For an example you can use the pictures of the construction of my new Z-axis (see: Neue Z-Achse, Eigenanfertigung aus Kaufteilen).

Regards, woldig

P.S.: If you are looking for supply sources, contact me next week, I am not at home at the moment.
woldig

I can use some supply sources! I have been searching on ebay but not found anything yet...

I am also thinking to do some modifications at the Z-axis, I have the new one. But it's not strong enough, it bends very much when i push on the motor of tool. I am thinking of a new backplate (were the motor is stuck on) from 10 mm to 15 mm and then on each side mounting a plate so it creates an U-profile.

What do you think about this? Do you understand? Otherwise I draw it for u...

BTW, I saw that PK1 changes his wheels on the X-axis? What is better if it's changed? He has the 2 wheels on the back...

Thanks for replying so soon! I appreciate!
Attachments
z-as.jpg
thieu

Postby boeingbrown » Wed May 19, 2010 12:00 am

Thieu,

Seeing now your mill right from an side angle.

Could it be that the instability you do experience is due to the big distance from the motor center of gravity from the z axis spindle ?

Of course caused by the tiefenregler which is mounted on the z axis backplate ?

Just an idea.

Hessel
boeingbrown

Postby thieu » Thu May 20, 2010 12:00 am

You thing it's due to that distance, so it creates a big lever?

I have added another picture with the changes drawed on it. The red is the plate I mentioned in previous post. So it creates an U - profile.

The black is maybe a solution for the lever related to that distance that Hessel said?

Hessel is it that distance?
Attachments
z-aschanges.jpg
thieu

Postby boeingbrown » Thu May 20, 2010 12:00 am

Yes indeed, the black arrow distance seems toooo me, rather long.

It acts now as a long lever with a "massive" weight of the motor on it's end.
I.m.o. this seems "good" for a sweeping effect.

Remember that e.g. the backplate of damencnc has a concave part of that plate milled out (!), in an attempt to put the motorweight center of gravity even closer to the spindle axis !

Hessel
boeingbrown

Next

Return to Elektor-Fräsmaschine 'Profiler'